Saturday, January 26, 2008

Utopian Cinema

Counter

Free Counter

Back in October I wrote about my visit to the Bend Film Festival. Without expecting to, I met a couple documentary directors, both of whom gave me some really sound advice. (For that advice, see my October blogs.) One of the directors, Tom Putnam (Red, White, Black and Blue) told me that I could send him my film, and that while he wouldn't be able to watch it anytime soon, he would eventually watch it and let me know what he thought. I decided I needed a few more things together before I went ahead and sent it to him, and ended up sending it a couple weeks ago. Well, within 10 days of sending it to him, Mr. Putnam sent me an email saying that he had watched it, and that if I wanted to talk with him about it, I could give him a call at home. So I did.

So in a perfect world, my Bible Camp film would have looked much different. I would have chosen three or four kids in different villages (probably something like Galena, Nulato, and Selawik because of their differing sub-cultures) and periodically followed them around for an entire year, culminating in coming to Kokrine Hills (or not) in the summer. The actual formation and story of the camp would have become the backbone of a film about life-change as evidenced in the lives of a few kids. This would have eliminated the need for so much narration, and would have created a real bond between the viewer and the subject. Now if I had spent $50,000 of someone else's money, I could definitely have gotten that done, and would have had a far superior (well, at least a more universal) film. But I spent over $8000 of my own money because I didn't know of any other way to get this story out there. So it was great to talk with Tom about how my film could have been better, but ultimately his advice was exactly what I would have wanted to do if I had had the budget (and time...) to do so. So while it was slightly disappointing that I didn't feel like I had received some incredible jewel of wisdom, I did feel like I was far more knowledgeable about this stuff than maybe my experience alone would dictate. Score one for understanding.

So what did I come away with after my 25 minute conversation with Tom Putnam? Pretty much a little more confidence that someday I'll have the chance to really make something stellar, and I think I'll know how to do it, or at least I'll think I know what I'm doing and will dive headlong into some project which will completely absorb me, and eventually I'll have something to show for it. Maybe. Oh, I also came away with a home phone number for a real-life filmmaker. Prank calls anyone? Just kidding. (I'm only explaining that I'm kidding on the off chance that Tom Putnam accidentally runs into this blog someday and is totally creeped out by that last phrase, which would be completely understandable... He said as he nervously rocked and giggled to himself... Heh... Go get a copy of "Red White Black and Blue!" It was 7 years in the making, and it's really good! Props to Tom.) The end.

1 comment:

jessi said...

What about: "Hey Tom, is your camera running? It is? Well, it's costing you about $150 per hour to do so. So, you know, be wise with your resources." Then hang up.

It sounded funnier in my head.

The great thing about Bible Camp is that you always have it now. You've done it. It's a first step - a really good first step. And you've learned how to network, which is not easy. And, you know, real life film maker. That's cool too.