Monday, December 31, 2007

Counter

Free Counter

So how did it go?

Well, that depends on your criteria.

Explain that.

Well, I was hoping for a lot more people than came. Ultimately most of the people came not because of the subject matter, but because they knew me. It's certainly nice to have the support of people in Anchorage, so no big complaint there. Between forty and fifty people showed up, which was cool, but I was hoping for more. Well, maybe I was hoping that the amount of effort and worry I put into this thing would somehow mathematically equal the results in the end. Maybe people didn't come simply because the holidays can be a hectic and busy time of year for anything, let alone some homemade movie some nobody put together. Maybe a lot of things happened to keep people from coming or remembering when this was happening, but the fact remains that nearly fifty people came, and that's nothing to sneeze at. Maybe cough at, but certainly not sneeze-worthy.

But, all numbers aside, it was a success in every other definition of the word. Though I spent more money getting up there and renting a space than I took in from attendees, I only lost a hundred dollars or so, which is not bad at all. And now that I've put aside all numbers, I'm going to pull one back in. We sold eighteen DVDs at the showing, and the next days I sold another four, which was very encouraging, especially with a couple people buying two or three at a time. And now let's re-put that aside. People expressed their appreciation of being this subject to the light and really appreciated the film itself. One man told me that while he knew its purpose wasn't to entertain, it WAS entertaining as well as being informative. It has certainly taken me a long time to appreciation the balance in film between entertainment and information, and that comment spoke worlds of encouragement to me. The heart and information is the most important part, but the entertainment is what makes it watchable, tolerable. As the showing started, I got those goosebumps I only get when I either feel cold, or that the Holy Spirit is doing something cool, and while it was a little chilly in there, I'm quite certain it was the latter that gave me the goose flesh. Holy Spirit goosebumps are the best thing in the world, I think. At the very end of the film, I got the same feeling, and it was at that moment that I knew this had been a huge success. Though the numbers may deny my feeling of success, the sensation of the Lord blessing the room gave me all the affirmation I needed.

It's taken several days to come to these conclusions, but I'm very encouraged with the way things turned out on December the twenty-eighth. It was good, and I look forward to the next time, and the times after that. Woo hoo!

3 comments:

Darris said...

As one of your biggest fans, these are great words to read! And, the importance of prayer is again affirmed. Even more proud to be related to you.

Daylan said...

wait, i thought dad was one of MY biggest fans! i echo his pride at being related to you. it seems like the growth you have experienced in this process has been worth the trial. in my mind, you are a huge success. i love you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dayn...this is Elisha Gettmann here. I don't know if you remember Brandon and I from Anchorage, but we are close to J & Lori and hung out collectively a few times. We just wanted to say that we wanted to be there for your documentary! We still have not seen it, but heard good things :) Brandon had pneumonia and both our kids had colds so clearly we have good excuses for not attending! How can we get a DVD? Just let us know how to buy one...you can contact us through Lori or find the link to our webpage through Lori's. Take care!